Sunday, September 14, 2014

My First Canning Project - Peaches and Pears

This week, my awesome aunt bought me a water bath for canning. So, of course I had to give it a test run. I made sure to get all my homework done (which is most important), so I could spend the time necessary to do some canning. I went to the Provo market and picked up some peaches and pears. I then went to target to pick up some jars. Then the adventure began.

About 2-3 years ago, my mom got me the Ball canning book, it has over 400 recipes in it. I found my peaches and pears recipes in there and gave it a shot. I was careful to follow all the directions and the results were perfect! All my jars sealed! It was a ton of work. I did it all by myself. I can't imagine doing a bigger batch without help. Most of the time spent was me pealing or blanching and pealing the fruit. Once that was done, relatively little time was spent doing a heat-process on the fruit before putting them in the jars. My recipes required me to heat the fruit up in a syrup before putting them in the jars. The syrup was tasty! It ended up getting all over the handles and my hands before the night was over. :) I sure enjoyed my time doing it. I was careful to not over do it, physically. It's been awesome to see the "fruits" of my labor. :) I got 6 cans out of it. 3 peaches, 3 pears. 

It's a great skill to have. I can't wait for my next project!

Before....

After!!!


- Sami



No comments:

Post a Comment