Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Homemade Tortillas! This Recipe is GOLD!

Alright, I scored BIG with this one! I've gotten tired of buying tortillas. They are expensive and I don't like having to run to the store after every 10 that we eat. Trev and I love Mexican food, or anything that involves tortilla. Quesadilla, burritos, tacos, enchiladas, you get the point. Well, I get all my good meals off of Pinterest, and HERE is another!

This lady came up with a wonderful idea to make a huge batch and pull it out whenever she needed tortillas. She also makes large batches of other things. Go check it out!  I decided to give it a try tonight. IT'S AMAZING! I'm never buying store bought tortillas ever again. These were so good and so super easy to make!

Ingredients:
- 16 cups of flour
- 2 Tbsp of baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons of salt
- 2/3 C shortening (She says 1/2 to 1 C)


Ok, mix the flour, baking powder and salt all together. (I had to separate it out into 2 big bowls and do half of the recipe in each bowl.) Whisk it all together. Now, everybody is different with how they choose to go about making it. What I had to do next was take one bowl and put it in my KitchenAid and 1/3 C. of Crisco shortening. I was worried that it would ruin the flour where it seemed to be more of a liquid. But the Crisco mixed right in with the flour and soon you couldn't see it. It's like the salt and baking powder! :) Then I had to dump the mix that was in my KitchenAid into my container that I have. Then I took the second bowl, put it in the KitchenAid and added the Crisco. I had fun, there was flour everywhere.

Anyway, I did get it all in my container. Except for 2 cups. Which was great, because I used it for dinner. :) Remember, you are adding volume to the flour by adding in the shortening, salt and baking powder. I didn't think anything of it, until I realized that I couldn't get my "16 cups" into my gallon container. So really, this 16 cup recipe makes 18 cups. (At least that's how mine turned out).

To make Tortillas:
Add 1/2 cup of water to 2 cups of mix.

Don't stir with a whisk. It didn't work for me, I had to use a fork. I let mine rest for 15 minutes, but really didn't notice a difference. I did notice however, that I had added a bit more water than I should have. My dough turned out really sticky. I had to add a lot of flour as I was rolling my tortillas out. Less water, I think is better. Divide your dough out into balls. I got 9 out of my 2 cups. They made little tortillas, but were a bit thicker, so I think they were perfect.

I rolled my tortillas out with a glass cup, they kept sticking to my rolling pin. I also didn't get any "circular" tortillas, but that's ok! I kept adding flour to it as I rolled it to help keep it manageable. Then, toss one at a time onto a hot pan and let them cook. Once the first side starts bubbling, give it about 20 seconds, then flip it and give it another 20-30 seconds. Each stove is different, you just have to experiment with it. (Next time, I think I'll add a bit more salt.)

I used these tortillas to go with my homemade fajitas that I'll post next. :) Trevor and I did the math, we got 18 cups worth out of this, and I got 9 tortillas our of 2 cups. That's an average of 81 tortillas! The only real expense on this is the flour, which was 1 1/2 one pound bags of flour. Not bad! I picked mine up cheap at a case lot sale at Smiths. The salt, baking powder and Crisco are things I have on hand. So at the most this cost me was $5, and I'll get 81 tortillas! AWESOME!

16 cups of pure awesomeness. 

Yes, these tasted very good. 



3 comments:

  1. I totally want to do this now!!! Can you use whole wheat flour? I always buy whole wheat tortillas, but they have a million other ingredients I can't pronounce in them that I would love to avoid. You said in your other post thought that whole wheat goes bad faster?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that if you use whole wheat, be sure to use it within 3 months and maybe make a smaller batch to ensure none goes to waste. You will also probably need a bit more liquid when making them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete