Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti Squash

Tonight, I made a super yummy meal. This is one that I've wanted to make for a while. I always keep enchilada stuff on hand. Beef or chicken, its one of my favorite. I got the idea from Pinterest, but did mine a bit different. Click here to see.

First, I had Trevor show off his muscles by cutting the squash in half for me. This squash came from Grandma's garden from this past summer. One of my favorite things about squashes are they last a good long time. You don't have to worry about using it within 7 days. 

So, after it got cut, I covered the flesh with vegetable oil, salt and pepper. I then popped it in the oven, with the skin side up, and let it cook on 400 for about 35-40 minutes. You'll hear some sizzling from within the oven. That's OK. :-)


After that, I began to fix my inside mixture. I don't believe in measuring  things out. I prefer to just eyeball it, makes each meal unique. In a bowl I mixed the following ingredients:

- Canned chicken
- Black beans
- Corn (about half a can, were leftovers from another night.)
- Cream cheese. (I used about 4 tablespoons. Just to help thicken.)
- Green enchilada sauce
- minced onion
- Cumin





I filled the inside of the squash with this yummy goodness. I topped it all off with cheese, green onions, and olives. I would have put cilantro on, but mine wilted and I couldn't. But, then I put it back in the oven fore about 15 minutes and then BAM dinner was ready. 


This was a super fast and forgiving meal. If I had made a mistake in the ingredients, it could have been corrected. This meal was quick to prepare. It was a little time consuming to gut the squash, but other than that, maybe 10 minutes. Within an hour I have a tasty and beautiful meal that looks like I slaved over it all day. :) 


I slaved over this meal all day.....lol

We cut it in half and the insides came gushing out. Oh YUMMY!

 - SamiMae





No comments:

Post a Comment