Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mexican Haystacks!

This is an awesome new meal I just tried tonight. :) The best part about this meal, is everything is something that I always keep on hand. I think there is a lot of flexibility with this meal. You can add spice add heat, or even another veggie/bean. Trevor and I even grabbed some chips to eat with it too.

Again, I'm not one to measure things out. I like to just throw it all in a pot and flavor it based on taste. A lot of times, I don't have everything that a recipe calls for, so I experiment. Here are the ingredients I used tonight:

Ingredients:
-1 can of corn (drained)
-1 can of black beans (drained)
-1 can of tomato sauce
-Salsa (I used a hot salsa and just poured a bit in)
-Taco seasoning (to give it some authentic flavor)
-Garlic clove
- Onions
-Water (about 1/2 cup)
-Chicken (I used leftover chicken from the can, nothing special.)
-Rice
-Cheese
- Sour Cream

I put the chicken in the pot and warmed it up. Then I put in the corn, black beans, tomato sauce, water, salsa, and water. I used dehydrated onions and mixed it in. I crushed a clove of garlic and put it in. It wasn't overpowering, very mild. I lightly sprinkled it with some taco seasoning and let is cook! I loved how fast this all warmed up. Where everything is already precooked, its just a matter of warming it up. During all this, I made 2 servings of Minute rice. I wasn't sure if I'd like it on top of rice, but it surprised me. It was perfect on the rice. By the time the beans and corn were warm, the rice was finished. We topped it with some cheese, and a little sour cream. YUM!

For this dish, I kept the sides simple. I served it with some carrots and ranch and some warm peanut butter cookies. (I spoil my husband. :)


This will be a recipe that I'll be making again! It's nice to make a meal from what I already have in my little pantry. This is also the perfect college meal, cheap, and made quite a large pot. I'm going to keep this meal in mind to make it again! 

-SamiMae


No comments:

Post a Comment