Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cranberry Chicken and Lehi's Rice

So, these are not original recipes, but I do modify the portion sizes. I went home to visit and my mom let me have a cookbook of hers. My chicken and rice recipe came from the Worldwide Ward Cook Book, by Deanna Buxton. 

Cranberry Chicken (pg 83)

  • Chicken
  • 1 16oz cranberry sauce
  • 1/2 C. Catalina salad dressing
  • 1 envelope onion soup mix
Combine cranberry sauce, Catalina, and onion soup mix and pour on top of chicken. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

My favorite kinds of meals are ones I can throw together and not have to do much else. This a perfect recipe. I did homework while it was in the oven cooking! Boy, I'll say, right now, it smells AMAZING!

The side dish that I chose to make with my chicken also came from the Worldwide Ward Cookbook. It's as follows.

Lehi's Rice
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 C. onion, chopped
  • 1/2 C. Carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 C. Celery, chopped
  • 2 C. Chicken broth
  • 1 C. long-grain rice, uncooked
I'm using brown long grain rice instead of white. In a saucepan, melt butter and add veggies. Cook and stir until veggies are "slightly wilted" and onions are clear. (You know how they look when they get cooked). Then, stir in chicken broth and rice. Bring everything to a nice boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, or however long it takes the rice. 

I'm serving this with a nice green salad, something simple. 

For this meal, total prep time was about 30 minutes, by the time I got the chicken in the oven and got the veggies cut and cooked. My little apartment smells amazing! It reminds me of Thanksgiving. It's a festive meal. 

As soon as Trevor gets home, its dinner time! 

-SamiMae 

No comments:

Post a Comment