Saturday, May 10, 2014

Black Bean Pitas! YUMMY!

This was a meal that was very surprising how good it was! I was unsure when I was putting everything together, but this could have made it into the top 10 for spring meals. Trevor was even impressed. We just happened to have everything on hand too!

Ingredients:
  • Pita bread
  • Black beans
  • Corn
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Bacon
  • Celery (optional, I thought it was ok)
  • Sugar
  • Olive Oil
  • Mayonnaise
  • Vinegar
  • Pepper 
  • Onion
This came together in less than 15 minutes. It's eaten cold. I'm sure if you let it sit and let the flavors blend it could be good, but keep the bacon out until you eat to prevent it from getting soggy.

1. Cook some bacon. We did about 4 strips.
2. While Trev cooked the bacon, I drained a can of black beans and a can of corn and put into a bowl.
3. I cut up a little bit of green pepper (you want something sweet), onion and celery. I went easy on it. I cut everything small. Maybe 2-3 teaspoons worth of each. Add into bowl with beans and corn.
4. Add in 2 tablespoon mayo
5. Add teaspoon of sugar and olive oil and vinegar. 
6. Go off of taste, if you don't like it, mix it up. We added in a bit more sugar. 
7. Add bacon and mix it up. 
8. Get a pita bread, layer some romaine lettuce on it and put a few good scoops of the bean mixture on top and enjoy!








This was a surprising mixture. I found a recipe that I based it off of. You can view it here. I was really worried about it, but then the flavors worked together great. I loved the raw veggie flavor. The onion and peppers were quite wonderful. The sugar helped give it more of a dessert feel than a pita full of veggies. We ate the whole thing! 

- SamiMae

No comments:

Post a Comment