Sunday, February 2, 2014

Asian Haystacks!

So, I have Hawaiian haystacks, I have Mexican haystacks. Now I have Asian haystacks. :) This recipe is fantastic! I'm so making this again. I found the original recipe on Pinterest, but changed it around a little bit.

Ingredients include:
- Chicken breasts (I use tenderloins)
- Mr. Yoshida's marinade sauce
- Pineapple and juice
- Brown sugar
- Garlic
- Green onions
- Water
- Rice
- Cornstarch (To thicken sauce)


This is a super simple meal. It can easily be a crock pot meal, but I just prepared mine in the oven.

1. Set oven to 350 degrees
2. Put chicken in a casserole dish, along with:
     - About 1/4 cup of Mr. Yoshida's
     - 3/4 cup water
     - Sprinkle some brown sugar over the chicken (Go easy on the brown sugar, I did about 2 tablespoons, but I only cooked 2-4 chicken tenderloins)
     - Pour some pineapple and juice on top.
     - Crush some garlic on top, (or whichever way you use garlic)
     - Cut up 2 green onions and put it in as well
3. Make sure the meat is covered with sauce.
4. Cook about 45 minutes to 1 hour


In the last few minutes that it's cooking, there are a few other things we can do to prepare. Cook any side dishes or desert that you'd like. Make sure to get some rice cooking (whether you use 5 minute rice or steam it, it doesn't matter).

During this time, you can also take about 1/4th cup of cornstarch and dissolve it in about 1/4th cup of water. I've never used cornstarch before, so it was neat to try this! Stir it and it should dissolve pretty quick.

Once the chicken is cooked, pull it out. Cut/shred chicken into small pieces. Put the chicken and the sauce in a small pot and bring to a boil. After it's boiling, then pour in cornstarch. Stir. It will quickly thicken in to a "sweet and sour" sauce thickness. Then, serve this lovely mixture over the rice and Ta-Da! Dinner is served!

Note: Mine was really sweet, almost like a dessert. I would ease up on the brown sugar, go more for the pineapple flavor. I would have added a bit more garlic in it too than what I did. This was an easy weeknight meal that could be done in the crock pot and can be adjusted for any size of crowd! Give it a try!

See the chunks of pineapple?! YUM! 

The green onions are still in there as well. 



Happy cookin!

- SamiMae





No comments:

Post a Comment